Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Should You Join The Fight to Defeat Online Tax Bill?

I do not often get invited to meet with politicians about pending legislation, but next week I will have the rare pleasure of sitting down to discuss the Marketplace Fairness Act. In preparation for the meeting, I asked Terri Alpert, an active opponent of the bill, to educate me about what is at stake for small businesses. Alpert is a well-respected CEO in Connecticut who has built two top-shelf brands (Uno Alla Volta and Artisan Table) that do over $14 million in sales, and employ more than fifty people year-round. If this bill has her spooked, I need to know why.

She cited the following changes as the minimum required to make the legislation palatable for small companies:
Standardized definitions of what is taxable and what is not across all states.
Standardized tax holidays.
One rate per state.
One standardized tax return.
Audits only by the home state.